IFX Mail Archive: RE: PWG> RE: IFX> Attempt to close on t

RE: PWG> RE: IFX> Attempt to close on the two Notification specs at the face to face meetings

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 18:15:59 EDT

    I called Carl and his use case for using a separate Notification Server was
    for a number Printers that supported only a limited number of connections,
    say 4 as in a number of IPP printer network cards, and a large corporation
    with many clients (10,000). Off-loading these persistent connections to a
    big Notification Server seems important if a large number of clients might
    be using Event Wait Mode to get events for submitted jobs. If the job queue
    gets backed up on a Printer the number of such clients could be large, i.e.,
    the number of jobs in the queue.

    So this argument further justifies keeping the "optimal-target-uri" in the
    spec and perhaps increasing the client conformance from SHOULD to MUST, but
    certainly not watering it down to MAY.

    Following on with the strategies of a Printer with limited connections, such
    as might be used for an IPPFAX implementation, we have:

    Such a Printer can decide to terminate Event Wait Mode at any time,
    including in the first response, by returning the "notify-get-interval"
    operation attribute. And the client MUST disconnect and retry. So if the
    client conforms and disconnects, then the Printer's connection becomes free
    immediately, and the Printer doesn't have to remember the connection.

    Its only the case where the Printer decides to terminate Event Wait Mode,
    but the client is non-conforming and doesn't disconnect, that the Printer
    would have to disconnect (but have to remember the connection for 4 minutes
    according to TCP rules, thereby tying up the connection for that length of
    time).

    From the IPPGET spec:

    However, the Printer MAY decide to terminate Event Wait Mode at any time,
    including in the first response. In this case the Printer MUST return the
    "notify-get-interval" operation attribute. This attribute indicates that
    the Printer wishes to leave Event Wait Mode and the number of seconds in the
    future that the Notification Recipient client SHOULD try the
    Get-Notifications operation again. The Notification Recipient client MUST
    accept this response and MUST disconnect. If the Notification Recipient
    client does not disconnect, the Printer SHOULD do so.<?xml:namespace prefix
    = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

    So this response would also contain the "optimal-target-uri". In this case,
    the Printer would NOT have had to relay the Get-Notifications to the
    Notification Server. Then the client MUST disconnect and then
    MUST/SHOULD/MAY (TBD) retry the Get-Notifications on the returned URI (which
    could be anywhere, including the original target).

    Tom and Carl