IFX Mail Archive: RE: IFX> New Orleans Minutes

RE: IFX> New Orleans Minutes

From: Rick Seeler (rseeler@adobe.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 12:45:15 EST

    Everyone,

    The items noted with '*****' have been integrated into the 0.3 revision
    of the PDFax specification that will be released soon.

    I want to change the name of the 'PDFax' specification to 'PDF/is' (PDF-
    Image, Streamable) to remove the 'FAX' connection. Does anyone have any
    objection to this change?

    -Rick

    ***** The 'Single Image' profile has been moved out of the Image
    profiles specifier.

    ***** All profiles now have readable names.

    ***** The table has been redesigned.

    ***** The object is now called the 'Profiles' object.

    > Adobe has official name registry
    > Rick added a new keys in this object: Root, Encrypt,
    > Info, NextPage
    > Root, Info, and NextPage are to make things easier to parse
    >
    > How to provide for new vendor-specific profiles to be added?
    > Add a new key
    > So bits are reserved for future PWG use
    >
    > What about extensibility of PDFax value (the [IMAGES SECURITY
    > ...] value)?
    > Spec should indicate implementations cannot add entries to this list
    > And that new unknown entries at the end should be ignored,
    > to make it possible for
    > the PWG to add entries in later version
    >
    > Rick also added MAJ_VER and MIN_VER to the list, at the front

    ***** Version numbers are now the first two values in the 'Profiles'
    object.

    ***** Working on this now -- not sure if I will be successful.

    > We'll still need the MEMORY value to specify how much
    > memory is necessary *in addition
    > to* the amount needed for the page data
    > We'll bring up this issue in the teleconference this afternoon
    >
    > Going through filter sections (section 3.3.2-3.3.x)
    > In JBIG2 case, do we want to force the renderer to do all profiles?
    > Or say that we are only doing some specific profiles (see
    > JBIG2 spec (ISO/IEC 14492),
    > Annex F, for description of profiles)?
    > Conclusion: We'll probably specify some profiles, maybe profile 3
    > We'll mention this during the teleconference this afternoon

    ***** Spec has been changed to require Profile 4 (See T.89 for
    definition). Can anyone see a reason why we should support other
    Profiles that are defined in T.89?

    > Might there be a difference in IP issues for different profiles?
    > There were a number of patents listed in the JBIG2 spec
    > Harry is going to look into IBM IP issues in this area
    > In any case, we do not believe that there will be any major
    > problems with IP
    > JBIG2 is expected to stay in the spec in any case
    >
    > JPEG (DCTDecode filter)
    > Same question: do we want to limit; is there IP?
    > For this, should look at XHTML-Print spec, appendix A

    ***** PDF already limits the implementation to the JPEG baseline or
    Progressive. I added a requirement not to use Progressive JPEG and that
    all images must not be interlaced.

    > (At this point, teleconference began.
    > New participants: Ira McDonald, Tom Hastings, Rob Buckley, Lloyd
    > McIntyre)
    >
    > Bringing up a few of the issues from above:
    > MEMORY issue
    > How does Creator make sure it doesn't exceed memory size
    > that Renderer can handle?
    > Should Creator degrade the picture (for example) to make it fit?
    > Some thought the Creator must ask the user for
    > permission to do this
    > Should we specify a minimum amount of memory that any IPP
    > Fax implementation must have?

    ***** For JBIG2, I put in a requirement for 'Level 2' memory (2
    Megabytes). See T.89 for a description.
    ***** For JPEG, I put in a memory requirement that is spelled out in a
    PostScript DCTDecode document.

    ***** In progress.

    > Another question: Should JPEG be required?
    > Some say yes, to raise the bar
    > XHTML-Print requires JPEG
    > Same issue came up with Intellectual Property status of JPEG
    > No hard conclusion

    ***** JPEG is required if Color or Gray scale is supported, but an
    implementer may only implement bi-level. In that case, JPEG is not
    required.

    > Do we want to specify JBIG2 profiles?
    > Didn't have time for this

    ***** I took a crack at this. See 0.3 of the spec for the details, once