IFX Mail Archive: IFX> ISSUE: Can IPPFAX get away without I

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 18:55:35 EDT

    In the telecon today, we discussed extending the Notification spec for
    warnings and errors.

    It looks like it will take some work to add those events and make the IPP
    Notification spec a PWG document.

    It is the consensus of many in the PWG that the IPP Notifications and
    Subscriptions spec and the IPPGET Delivery Method for Event Notification
    should be withdrawn as an IETF standards track document, because of the
    difficulty of meeting the IESG security requirements for working on the
    Internet. Therefore, they should be made into PWG IEEE-ISTO standard track
    documents. At present we don't have an editor for such an effort.

    However, for IPPFAX 1.0, would it suffice to just avoid using notification
    and IPPGET altogether. If the Sender gets back a successful status code
    from the Print-Job response, the Receiver successfully received all of the
    document content. If the Sender wants to know whether the Job was
    successfully completed, the Sender can poll using IPP Get-Job-Attributes.

    ISSUE: OK for IPPFAX 1.0 to go forward without any reference to IPP Event
    Notifications?

    Thanks,
    Tom