P1394 Mail Archive: P1394> Tel-conf at 1/12

P1394> Tel-conf at 1/12

Fumio Nagasaka (fumiona@venus.dtinet.or.jp)
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 07:20:07 +0900

Fumio Wrote:
<<
1) if one data channel is stalled, the fetch agent does not pass data toward
upper layer ( in this case upper layer is CBT).
2) thus the fetch agent stops consuming data from a linked list of ORBs.
3) By the way an application would append new ORB which requests status
reply as the application need to solve the problem. (may be new ORB uses
other logical channel. But the logical channel number is enclosed in data
buffer associated with this ORB)
4) The fetch agent does not read this new data buffer, because he is busy.
And he does not have any internal FIFO space to read new data.
5) Finally the fetch agent does not pass new request to CBT. He will know
that new ORB should be delivered to other logical channel, thus he could do
that, but he didn't.... It is too late.

Through the tel-conference held at January 12, Greg Shue's opinion
makes me recognize my points shown above had misunderstanding.
PWG-profile defines SBP-2 as CBT driven data-link layer. So when
an initiator starts transaction, the target peer gives credits for each
logical channels. If the initiator appends out-ORB up to given credits,
all these requests will be stored into target peer's FIFO without over-
flow. Thus we don't need to assume that a target agent will be stalled.

On the other hand, when the target peer starts transaction, the initiator
peer gives credits for each logical channels. In this case the initiator
needs to append an in-ORB at each time. Because if the initiator
appends N+k in-ORBs in a list, and the target has only N requests,
then k in-ORBs will not be consumed. From this point of view, I think
each in-ORB shall be set a notify bit one, when PWG-profile applied.
The initiator may be notified when provided in-ORB is consumed by
the target peer. Then the initiator may append one more in-ORB on
the inked list.

As conclusion, I think we don't need to fill CDB with any socket
information
nor control information,... Greg, do you have any points?
Fumio Nagasaka
Epson Software Development Laboratory Inc.
Tel +81 268 25 4111, Fax +81 268 25 4627
E-mail to nagasaka.fumio@exc.epson.co.jp