P1394 Mail Archive: Re: P1394> Rough SBP-2 & IP1394 core component ROM sizes

Re: P1394> Rough SBP-2 & IP1394 core component ROM sizes

Greg Shue (gregs@sdd.hp.com)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 08:59:39 -0800 (PST)

Some chipsets offer HW assist for portions of the SBP-2 target
protocol. Others offer HW support for DMA to map device memory
to Serial Bus memory, which significantly improves SBP-2 intiator
performance (e.g. OHCI). This does _not_ mean that the chips
are protocol-specific.

I definitely agree that initiator and target functionality are
vastly different. In my mind, the represent opposite ends of a
client-server model. I think it would be extremely difficult to
write a single application that could, in a single instance (or
through a single interface) be both a controller and a controlled
function. (Note, I did not call this a Module, a Node, or a
device. :-) I could very easily see a protocol stack for a node
having both target and initiator support. Any server-type
services would use the target support. Any client-type
applications would use the initiator support. Because there is
so little that is shared, I see the size of the stacks as being
(roughly) the sum of the individual solutions, no matter how many
applications or services my node has.

Am I missing something here?

Greg Shue