P1394 Mail Archive: RE: P1394> 1284.4 over SBP-2

RE: P1394> 1284.4 over SBP-2

Turner, Randy (rturner@sharplabs.com)
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 06:08:57 -0800

If we want to keep the application programming interface consistent
across all different kind of link types, then I think a socket interface
is the best way to do this. Note that this application interface only
provides access to a "transport" stack. The actual application protocol
used (DPP, IPP, 1284.1, etc.) would still be done by the application.

And if we want to use a socket interface as the common transport
interface for applications, this socket interface would support all of
the layering models that have been proposed thus far, including, but not
limited to:
1284.4 over SBP-2
SBP-2 over transaction layer (OHCI,
etc.)
1284.4 over 1284.3
TCP/IP over ethernet
TCP/IP over 1394

Note that the SBP-2 over transaction layer option would also support DPP
over socket interface as well.

My point from all of this is that for the layering models discussed so
far, we don't have to worry about providing a common API for
applications. So we can keep our discussion focused on relevant
technical transport issues.

Randy