P1394 Mail Archive: RE: P1394> Rough SBP-2 & IP1394 core component ROM sizes

RE: P1394> Rough SBP-2 & IP1394 core component ROM sizes

Atsushi Nakamura (atsnaka@mxa.mesh.ne.jp)
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 00:24:13 +0900

>The PWG-C also needs a symmetrical transport. I would love to have the
>same transport for the PWG and PWG-C (since they both have the same
>requirements). I would HATE to have to make a printer that implemented
>two different transports for PWG and PWG-C printing. I think most
>printer manufacturers would agree.

I think everyone would agree to this as an "ideal" solution.
Unfortunately. the reality (at least now) is that the PWG and PWG-C
have requirements that are "similar", but not the "same".
The difference may be small, but seem to be crutial to both sides.
It may be the "level",or depth of each requirement items, or
priority of requirement items (for example, "light", symmetrical VS,
existing
protocol use, OS support)

If we can come up with a PWG solutionthat can cover the difference, that
would be great. On the other hand, if the DPP thin transport can be used fro
PWG printing, that would be good too, and will be the ideal solution.

>, but it just seems that we have accepted a
>transport (SBP-2) that isn't symmetrical and we are calling it good.

I think so too. It's one of the reasons why I asked the whether we
ever officially decide to go with SBP-2...

There was still discussion in Maui whether symmetrical (and/or
bi-directional)
was necessary or not for PWG printing. (must or want ?)
This is one of the questions we need to get consensus first , as well as
prioritizing the requirements. For example, if existing protocol use is much
more important for PWG printing than symmetric, SBP-2 may be good
after all.