P1394 Mail Archive: Re: P1394> units and logical units definition

Re: P1394> units and logical units definition

Atsushi_Nakamura (atsnaka@bsd.canon.co.jp)
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 13:22:06 +0900

At 午後 05:47 98/03/16 -0800, Greg Shue wrote:

> Ats wrote:
> > This can be handled with FDS, the Function Discovery Service
> > discussed in p1212r, IF we want to match units up by (physycal)
> > function instances.
> > (although it is not the original intent of FDS..)
> > FDS is a ROM structure that acutally matches up an functional
> > physical instance with all of it's associated (unit) directories.
>
> The piece that is missing is if a node provides the services
> of multiple printers (e.g. a PC being a bridge to all the non-1394
> printers to which it is directly connected). How do you know
> that "printer status" L is associated with "printer parser" Q?

Very true.This is why I said "SORT OF..."

> > (although it is not the original intent of FDS..)

I will emphasize that FDS's initial objective is
device discovery(and U/I purposes),not to solve issues like these,
so the scope of FDS ends at "unit" level.

As you said, FDS does not solve"The piece that is missing" so
I think some other mechanism is needed for a match up at the
LUN level.

> > > The other model is difficult if you want to have multiple
> > > independent units in a node, because there is no clear way
> > > to match up which Device Status Unit Directory goes with which
> > > Device Control Unit Directory, or Print Job Unit Directory.
> > > Rev 0.1d of the profile doesn't show how to do this (or I
> > > missed it...)

The above statement did not say anything about LUNs, so I thought
that FDS can be utilized if a match up at the unit level is all
that's needed (which apparently is not...I should of figured that
out myself.)

Atsushi Nakamura

BJ Technology Development 22,
Canon Inc.