P1394 Mail Archive: Re: P1394> SBP-2 Targets

Re: P1394> SBP-2 Targets

From: Eric Anderson (ewa@apple.com)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 14:50:49 EDT

    Multiple targets, represented by multiple Unit Directories, are
    fully allowed by the SBP-2 and 1394 specs. A computer, in
    particular, is likely to publish multiple SBP-2 units for
    unrelated purposes.

    In principle, multiple targets represented by multiple unit
    directories would be fully independent, aside from sharing
    a node's characteristics such as node ID and GUID. In practice
    the level of independence depends on the sophistication of
    your microcontroller.

    I haven't kept up with the 1212r work; it may change the
    terminology somewhat. But I don't believe it adds any
    restrictions or limits to what 1394 and SBP-2 allow. In
    particular if you have multiple instance directories, and
    each one has a (different) unit directory associated with
    it, I believe that would represent multiple targets.

    Multiple instance directories, each pointing to the same unit
    directory, would be different (if 1212r allows that). The unit
    directory would have a single management agent; each node is
    limited to at most one login to that agent (by SBP-2); this would
    effectively be a single target.

    post to it), by the way.

    Eric Anderson
    Apple Computer