PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Top 20 Chart Comments

Re: PMP> Top 20 Chart Comments

Chuck Adams (adamsc@pogo.WV.TEK.COM)
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 16:54:48 -0800

STUART@KEI-CA.CCMAIL.CompuServe.COM wrote:

> Thank you Chuck for putting together this chart, and thank you Lloyd
> for formatting it - I couldn't make heads or tails of it as included
> in the original e-mail.
>
> I have the following comments:
>
> 1. PrtSubUnitStatusTC Clarification
> I think the Availability bit descriptions desparately need
> clarification. What is the difference between Available and Busy vs.
> Available and Active? What about Standby vs. Idle (is Standby only
> for power save mode?) What is Unavailable and OnRequest for?

I concur that this Textual Convention needs clarification.
I assumed that active did not imply selected. I thought this
was handled by the input table.

> 2. hrPrinterStatus when hrDeviceStatus is Down
> In the table in almost all cases where hrDeviceStatus is Down, the
> hrPrinterStatus is listed as Idle or Printing or Warmup. According to
> the HR MIB for hrPrinterStatus:
> "The current status of this printer device. When
> in the idle(1), printing(2), or warmup(3) state,
> the corresponding hrDeviceStatus should be
> running(2) or warning(3). When in the unknown
> state, the corresponding hrDeviceStatus should be
> unknown(1)."
> Therefore, when hrDeviceStatus is Down, hrPrinterStatus should be
> Other or Unknown.

Here is someone's chance to make an alternate proposal because
I do not like the current wording that forces this behavior.
Maybe Harry is correct we should redo the hr variables.

> 3. Cover/Door Open

I concur with your implementers. The Cover Table states "The cover
portion
of the General print sub-unit describes the covers...". Therefore
covers
or interlocks within the input sub-unit are not covered by this table.

Chuck Adams