PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Re: How to hande mgmt of shared devices in prtStorage, etc.

Re: PMP> Re: How to hande mgmt of shared devices in prtStorage, etc.

Gail Songer (Gail.Songer@eng.efi.com)
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 16:40:59 -0800

Harish,

I have also found the interaction between the host resources mib and printer
mib very confusing. Luckily, a friend of mine(Hi Eugene) explained it to me,
and I am willing to share that with you. The explaination comes in the form of
two sets of the hrDevice table, the hrStorage table, the prtDevice table and
the prtStorage table. The first set is a single printer system, and the second
set is a dual printer system. It shows how we could index and respond to the
variables in these tables. The two prt tables included the full index, since
for me, this was the most confusing part. Since this is only an example we
chose in the dual printer model, to have the printer device id's as 1 and 7 as
this clearly identifies what in the world is going on. If you are interested,
let me know and I will get them up on the FTP server.

Since I am working on the FAQ, the topic may well end up in there.

The host resources mib provides for over-all status of the device, tho' some of
the people here will, justifiably, question the usefullness of those status
flags. As such it does have some purpose in a single printer system.

--

Gail Songer Electronics For Imaging gail.songer@eng.efi.com 2855 Campus Drive (415) 286-7235 San Mateo, CA 94403