PMP Mail Archive: RE: PMP> chNetwarePServer channel type problem?

RE: PMP> chNetwarePServer channel type problem?

JK Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:53:31 -0500 (EST)

Dave,

I concur with your recollections and recommendations on this topic.

...jay

----- Begin Included Message -----

Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 13:10:25 PST
From: David_Kellerman@nls.com
To: bpenteco@boi.hp.com
CC: pmp@pwg.org
Subject: RE: PMP> chNetwarePServer channel type problem?

Bob Pentecost <bpenteco@boi.hp.com> wrote (edited):

> I'm sending this to the general PWG PMP list to make everyone aware of this
> problem and it's going to Bob Setterbo and Scott Isaacson to get some
> Novell help to answer the questions (I don't remember which of you was
> involved when this was added to the Printer MIB).
>
> From the 3-14-97 version of the Printer MIB I find:
>
> PrtChannelTypeTC ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
> STATUS current
> DESCRIPTION
> "This enumeration indicates the type of channel that is
> receiving jobs.
>
> This is a type 2 enum."
> SYNTAX INTEGER {
> <bunch of values deleted>
> chNetwarePServer(10), -- Novell, Inc.
> -- prtChannelInformation keywords:
> -- Server Name
> -- Keyword: "Server"
> -- Syntax: Name
> -- the queue resides.
> --
> -- Queue
> --
> -- Name: "Queue"
> -- Syntax: Name
> -- server
> --
> -- NDS Tree
> --
> -- Keyword: "NDSTree"
> -- Syntax: Name
> --
> -- NDS Queue
> --
> -- Keyword: "NDSQueue"
> -- Syntax: Name
> -- the associated NDS Tree
> -- There must be exactly one Server and one Queue
> -- entry or exactly one NDSTree and one NDSQueue
> -- Entry.
> <bunch of values deleted>
>
> The description says "There must be exactly one Server and one Queue entry
> or exactly one NDSTree and one NDSQueue Entry." However, the HP JetDirect
> card for our printers can serve up to 16 server/queue pairs over one
> channel, so we need to allow multiple entries. Also, we can support NDS and
> the other type in various combinations.
>
> The questions are:
>
> 1) Why is there a limit of one or the other? I think multiple and mixed
> Server/Queue and NDSTree/NDSQueue pairings should be allowed.
>
> 2) Why does NDSTree specify "Multiplicity Multiple" but the rest of the
> keywords are "Multiplicity Single"?
>
> Unless I'm missing something, I suggest the last sentence for
> chNetwarePServer(10) be changed to: "Keyword entries must be paired (Server
> followed by Queue or NDSTree followed by NDSQueue) and may be repeated."

If I understand the situation correctly (I'm no NDS expert, so bear
with me, but I was in the middle of defining the prtChannelInformation
entry), the way the prtChannelTable is organized, your example would
break out into multiple prtChannelEntry objects. Each of these would
have its own prtChannelInformation value, and they might potentially
differ in other prtChannelEntry fields.

:: David Kellerman Northlake Software 503-228-3383
:: david_kellerman@nls.com Portland, Oregon fax 503-228-5662

----- End Included Message -----