PMP Mail Archive: Re: Re[2]: PMP> Novell Channel Type Info

Re: Re[2]: PMP> Novell Channel Type Info

Ira Mcdonald x10962 (imcdonal@eso.mc.xerox.com)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 18:43:19 PDT

Hi Bill,

Your caveat is a 'properly contstructed interface table'. But per
RFC 1213, the 'interface' that Internet IP or NetWare IPX operates
over may be 'LLC_SNAP' (the 'next' lower sublayer below the network
layer). And WITHOUT the extensions in the 'ifStackTable' of
RFC 1573, it is impossible to discover that the 'real' interface
under 'LLC_SNAP' is Ethernet vs Token Ring.

Even if you ignore that problem, and just show 'all' your primitve
interfaces, and show that an LPR 'channel' exists over IP over
Ethernet and another LPR 'channel' exists over (the same instance
of) IP over Token Ring, you can't count traffic at the LPR level
for the 'separate' channels (or associate it with the particular
'source' channel for Job Monitoring MIB purposes), because LPT
(oops, LPR) just gets packets from TCP, who gets them from IP,
who quietly 'forgets' which physical interface they came from.

If you're still confused (I certainly am, obviously), we could
trade some private email and save the long-suffering PWG members
some cycles.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
High North Inc
PO Box 221
Grand Marais, MI 49839