PMP Mail Archive: RE: PMP> Top 25 minus 4 conditions/alerts proposal

RE: PMP> Top 25 minus 4 conditions/alerts proposal

JK Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Thu, 1 May 1997 13:11:26 -0400 (EDT)

Bob,

Thanks for following up on this topic. You know, though, after reading
your proposed text, it suddenly hit me that we may not have been properly
analyzing the scenario in the first place.

A quick review of the basic scenario for those not in the PMP telecon
during which this new topic was first discussed:

Some printers can be configured such that a certain condition
normally considered as a "warning" (such as "toner low") can
be configured so as to stop the printer altogether, that is,
the event results in a critical condition, not a warning.

Now (assuming the above picture is correct), if we step back back
and look at the words, in essence what we have is the interesting
situation where the printer can actually *map* a warning condition
to a critical condition.

As such, for this scenario, a "toner low" condition is not at all
a non-critical (ie, warning) condition, but rather a very real
critical condition. There is nothing in the alert code tagged for
"toner low" that implies it is implicitly a non-critical alert, right?

If this is indeed true, then we don't have to worry about muddying up
the Top 25 Conditions table with a new situation in which a non-critical
alert is treated in some way as a critical alert.

Basic premise for everyone to agree upon (and maybe a useful bit of
clarifying text for the new Printer MIB draft):

The printer (and only the printer) decides which alert codes are
critical versus non-critical.

Does everyone agree with this? If so, then (following Bob's text) when
the user "continues" the printer (ie, acknowledges the warning condition),
then shouldn't the printer remove *both* the Offline and critical alert
(describing the toner low condition), and add a new non-critical alert
to say that the condition still remains (but is no longer critical)?

Comments?

...jay

-- JK Martin | Email: jkm@underscore.com --
-- Underscore, Inc. | Voice: (603) 889-7000 --
-- 41C Sagamore Park Road | Fax: (603) 889-2699 --
-- Hudson, NH 03051-4915 | Web: http://www.underscore.com --