PMP Mail Archive: RE: PMP> Top 25 minus 4 conditions/alerts proposal

RE: PMP> Top 25 minus 4 conditions/alerts proposal

Bob Pentecost (bpenteco@boi.hp.com)
Mon, 5 May 1997 13:29:14 -0600

Jay,

From: JK Martin[SMTP:jkm@underscore.com]
> Sent: Friday, May 02, 1997 8:02 AM
> To: bpenteco@boi.hp.com
> Cc: pmp@pwg.org
> Subject: RE: PMP> Top 25 minus 4 conditions/alerts proposal
>
> Bob,
>
> > As the deadline for MIB updates and clarifications is today, I propose
the
> > following.
> >
> > 1) Put the table of ~25 Printer Conditions (as posted in err4.doc) in
the
> > Printer MIB document.
> >
> > 2) I withdraw my suggested wording.
>
> Hold on a minute. You also made some excellent contributions regarding
> other aspects of the document that did not involve the "offline" issue.
> I certainly hope we retain those, don't you? (Besides, Chuck has
probably
> already made the changes... ;-)

Chuck made the changes from my review of the Top 25 Conditions and
incorporated them in "err4.doc" which he posted. What I'm willing to drop
is my wording about adding a critical offline to a warning alert condition
(my first 5/1 email that started this mailstorm).

> And thanks for making me realize that I did not follow up (in my message)
> to describe the scenarios resulting from my proposed changes:
>
> > It is apparent that we disagree on how it is best to present printer
> > condition information to our customers. As such, it should be left up
> > the printer vendor to decide the best implementation for their
customers.
> > When a generic management app interprets the Alert Table it may show
the
> > user either of the following:
> > RED: Printer offline
> > YEL: Low toner
> > or
> > RED: Low toner
> >
> > To me the first says that the printer can be put back online to
continue
> > printing; the second says the printer must have toner added to continue
> > printing. Let each vendor decide what is appropriate.
>
> Based on my proposal, here is the scenario:
>
> 1. Toner goes low, printer goes offline. User sees this display from
> the management app:
>
> RED: Printer has stopped due to low toner
>
> 2. User goes to printer, presses "Continue" (or whatever). User now
> sees this display from the mgmt app:
>
> YELLOW: Printer is low on toner
>
> That is, once "Continue" is invoked, the RED (critical) alert is removed
> from the table, and is replaced with a YELLOW (non-critical, warning)
alert.

How does the user (or your software) know that in this case printing can be
resumed by pressing 'Continue' (or whatever)? What makes this critical
alert different from others?

> You say:
>
> > Let each vendor decide what is appropriate.
>
> Ok, so we don't agree here. We need to vote on this as quickly as
possible.

> ...jay

Bob