PMP Mail Archive: RE: PMP> Localization changes to Printer MIB

RE: PMP> Localization changes to Printer MIB

Bob Pentecost (bpenteco@boi.hp.com)
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 10:56:25 -0600

Ira,

You're right; there's only one new object being proposed. I appreciate =
the efforts to clean things up, but my concern at this point is inducing =
turmoil this close to the end. I feel like this is similar to the =
completion of a software project and the last thing one does at the end =
of a project is throw in a bunch of changes, even when they seem to be =
innocuous.=20

After thinking about this change some more, it looks like the nature of =
this change is quite different from any of the others that we've made =
before. Aside from the numerous clarifications that we've done, I found =
the following list from one of Lloyd's messages:

1. Several Textual Conventions were added in the new
Printer MIB that were not present in RFC1759:
z Tom Hastings write up why new TC's were added

General Printer Group changes:

1. Six new objects were added to the General Printer Group:

prtGeneralStartupPage PresentOnOff - Tom Hastings
prtGeneralBannerPage PresentOnOff - Tom Hastings
prtGeneralAdminName Octet string - Jay Martin
prtGeneralSerialNumber Octet string - Harry Lewis
prtAlertCriticalEvents Counter32 - Bob Pentecost
prtAlertAllEvents Counter32 - Bob Pentecost

Input Group Changes

1. A group was added: The Input Switching Group

prtInputMediaLoadTimeout Integer32 - Angelo Caruso
prtInputNextIndex Integer32 - Angelo Caruso

Print Job Delivery Channel Group changes

1. One new object was added:
prtChannelInformation DisplayString - David Kellerman

These are all new objects that don't change the functionality of the =
existing objects. The change being proposed pulls out some of the =
current functionality of prtGeneralCurrentLocalization and puts it in =
prtGeneralStaticLocalization. The problem that I see this causing is =
what happens when a customer connects their new printer and tries to =
manage it with their existing management software (we know that =
customers tend to update their software much less frequently than they =
add printers). If they try to set the new printer's localization, they =
will find that it is only partially localized.=20

This change breaks existing software; therefore, it needs more thought =
before it goes into the Printer MIB.

Bob Pentecost
HP