PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Revised proposal on definition of OCTET STRING to allow superset of ASCII

Re: PMP> Revised proposal on definition of OCTET STRING to allow superset of ASCII

Chris Wellens (chrisw@iwl.com)
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 10:35:14 -0700 (PDT)

This is the first in a series of three messages to provide
everyone with more information to make an informed decision about
the latest proposal.

Please remember that in IETF Working Groups, we have to have
*technical* discussion and consensus based on technical positions; it
is not sufficient to say "I am from company X, and we're against it."
If you are against it, you need to supply technical arguments.

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, JK Martin wrote:

> Ira,

> You reference the HR MIB, yet we all know of the rather strange state
> of that particular standards effort, namely, it is NOT moving to Draft
> status.

Actually, there is an unannounced decision to take the HR MIB to
Draft status, primarily to meet the objective of helping the
Printer MIB go to Draft Status. There is a decision, and there is
staff (meaning a Working Group Chair has been appointed).
However, there is no plan and schedule yet. The reason is that
most of the SNMP community is working on the accelerated
schedule of completing the SNMPv3 documents. As soon as that is
concluded, the new Chair (who is currently busy with SNMPv3) will
make an announcement. I expect this to occur in September.

We (Lloyd and I) did not want to share this information until
everything was set, because if anything were to go wrong it
would be so disappointing to everyone. At the same time, we
need to have everyone make informed decisions. So this is the
best information we have at this time.