PMP Mail Archive: Re[2]: PMP> URGENT: SYNTHESIS proposal on definition of OCTE

Re[2]: PMP> URGENT: SYNTHESIS proposal on definition of OCTE

Bill Wagner (bwagner@digprod.com)
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 19:32:23 -0400

Subject: Re: PMP> URGENT: SYNTHESIS proposal on definition of OCTET S
Author: David_Kellerman@nls.com at Internet
Date: 7/23/97 3:46 PM

If there really is a broad interest in "fixing" the localization
problem, I would suggest an alternative to Tom's proposal -- switch from
ASCII to UTF-8 for OCTET STRING objects where representation of
multilingual text is appropriate.

I was perhaps more gingerly checking to see if existing
implementations (which are already in nominal violation of the MIB),
could accept this approach, at least for future implementations. It
certainly would be my preference. We are seeing localization becoming
a more and more pressing issue as the markets shift to the East. If a
mechanism is not provided in the MIB now, there will be multiple
solutions in place (indeed, it appears that there already are). Tom's
suggestion to have this aspect addressed, as qualified by David's
message, seems a minimal but significant step in the right direction.

Bill Wagner, Osicom/DPI