PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Localization conclusion - prtGeneralPrinterName

Re: PMP> Localization conclusion - prtGeneralPrinterName

Ira Mcdonald x10962 (imcdonal@eso.mc.xerox.com)
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 09:30:22 PDT

Hi Jay,

I've been away for two days, missing the fun but... I haven't
even read 'Dave's UTF-8 proposal', because it's somewhere in
200 mail notes here. If the proposal is to simply take the
currently unlocalized, ASCII code set strings and shift them
to UTF-8, NO Xerox will not readily agree. That would break
both the existing HP and Lexmark products (who have said they
are already using OTHER 8-bit code sets, with ASCII as a
7-bit subset). It would also prevent the use of the ISO 8859-x
code sets in Europe (NOT acceptable to RankXerox). And RFC 2130
does not say no new protocol should allow multiple code sets.
It just says the default set shall be Unicode UCS-2 encoded
into UTF-8 form.

I thought that Lloyd was just asking about aligning the SYNTAX
clause of 'prtGeneralPrinterName' with whatever develops for
the code set of the other OCTET STRINGs (not currently
controlled by 'preGeneral[Current|Console]Localization').

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)