PMP Mail Archive: PMP> FWD: Web site L10n announcement

PMP> FWD: Web site L10n announcement

Harry Lewis (harryl@us.ibm.com)
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 16:38:23 -0400

Web sites can also have robust servers with plenty of MIPs and storage ...
unlike many devices with SNMP agents which are only meant to *augment* the
device in
terms of management and/or configuration... not bring the device to it's knees
trying to satisfy every possible combination of human-machine interaction
across
the entire globe!

When we developed the Printer MIB we were conservative with our use of
localization because we recognized that it further burdens the agent which is
most likely sharing inseparable resources with the device itself. Now, I wonder
if the purpose of the printer MIB isn't being overshadowed by trying to make
sure every aspect of the MIB is localized!

I know Tom was only providing a "cool" example, I'm not criticizing this. But I
think this example can really straighten out our perspective regarding where and
when full localization makes sense (or doesn't). Note that even the referenced
Web Site has only a SUBSET internationalized!

Harry Lewis - individual

----------- Forwarded by Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM on 07/25/97 01:50 PM --------

pmp-owner@pwg.org
07/25/97 12:17 PM