PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Management app expecting UTF-8 question

Re: PMP> Management app expecting UTF-8 question

Bill Wagner (bwagner@digprod.com)
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 19:09:06 -0400

Bob,

It would seem to me that, in the general case, a management
application would have no idea what character set the 'misbehaving'
printer agent supports, whether or not we decide to go with the UTF-8
proposal. In a specific case where the management agent 'knows' that a
particular printer will use PC-850 or whatever, it will know that in
either case.

Bill Wagner, Osicom/DPI

Subject: PMP> Management app expecting UTF-8 question
Author: Bob Pentecost <bpenteco@boi.hp.com> at Internet
Date: 7/25/97 3:57 PM

If we decide to go with the UTF-8 proposal, how will a management application
distinguish between a newer printer that is using UTF-8 and an older
"misbehaving" printer that is using non-ASCII (such as PC-850 or Roman-8 for two
examples)? The ASCII portion will be displayed correctly, but the characters
that have the eighth bit set will be misinterpreted.

Bob