PMP Mail Archive: RE: PMP> another look at alternatives 1-2 [ISSUE 3: what TCsto use]

RE: PMP> another look at alternatives 1-2 [ISSUE 3: what TCsto use]

Bob Pentecost (bpenteco@boi.hp.com)
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 13:21:57 -0600

From: Tom Hastings[SMTP:hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com]
> Sent: Monday, July 28, 1997 4:39 AM
> To: David_Kellerman@nls.com
> Cc: pmp@pwg.org
> Subject: Re: PMP> another look at alternatives 1-2 [ISSUE 3: what TCsto use]
>
> Please respond to this issue Monday, 7/28, so we can wrap up this MIB.
>
> At 19:17 07/25/97 PDT, David_Kellerman@nls.com wrote:
> snip...
>
> >> I suggest that we use TCs to distinguish between localized and
> >> non-localized objects.
> >>
> >> So how about TC's like:
> >>
> >> PrtEnglishASCIIStringTC - for objects that are US-ASCII always
> >> (like OIDs). The application does
> >> any localization if it wants to. > > > >How about just ASCIIString for the name? >
> We should follow the current conventions in the MIB in which
> all of the new TCs start out with 'Prt' and end in 'TC'.
>
> So it should be at least: PrtASCIIStringTC.
>
> So the remaining issue is whether to include 'English' in the name or not.
>
> I think that Ira's and Ang's editing that Chris and Lloyd had already
> done had the name 'PrtEnglishAsciiStringTC' didn't it?
>
> The three objects that do have standard text values specified:
> > R/W prtInputMediaType "stationery", "transparency", ...
> > R/W prtInputMediaColor "other", "unknown", "white", "pink"
> > R prtMarkerColorantValue "other", "unknown", "white", "red", ...
> are specified in English.
>
> Comments?

I don't believe 'English' should be part of the TC label. Although the objects refer to
"standardized string values from ISO 10175 (DPA) and ISO 10180 (SPDL)" which
are in English, there is also a provision "Implementers may add additional string
values." There's no reason to make the TC more restrictive than it needs to be.

Bob

<rest of stuff deleted>