PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Several indexes need ranges according to SMICng

Re: PMP> Several indexes need ranges according to SMICng

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 09:11:47 PDT

At 05:27 07/30/97 PDT, lpyoung@lexmark.com wrote:

>My original plan was to publish all final changes to the printer
>MIB by today. However Tom's note (below) may delay that slightly.
>
>Tom,
>This is a new error message to me so I do not know exactly
>what it means. Did the compiler tell you anything other than
>what you have below? Was this a warning or an error? I am not
>really sure what the phrase "Index item must be defined with
>syntax that includes a range" really means.

You need a range, like: (1..32767) or (1..2147483647) for
a 16-bit or a 32-bit index (not using the sign bit in either).

You need to put the range on both the SEQUENCE and the SYNTAX.

Here is an example from the Job Mon MIB if a 16-bit index:

jmGeneralEntry OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX JmGeneralEntry
MAX-ACCESS not-accessible
STATUS current
DESCRIPTION
"Information about a job set (queue).

An entry SHALL exist in this table for each job set."
INDEX { jmGeneralJobSetIndex }
::= { jmGeneralTable 1 }

JmGeneralEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
jmGeneralJobSetIndex Integer32(1..32767),
jmGeneralNumberOfActiveJobs Integer32(0..2147483647),
jmGeneralOldestActiveJobIndex Integer32(0..2147483647),
jmGeneralNewestActiveJobIndex Integer32(0..2147483647),
jmGeneralJobPersistence Integer32(15..2147483647),
jmGeneralAttributePersistence Integer32(15..2147483647),
jmGeneralJobSetName OCTET STRING(SIZE(0..63))
}

jmGeneralJobSetIndex OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX Integer32(1..32767)
MAX-ACCESS not-accessible
STATUS current
DESCRIPTION
"A unique value for each job set in this MIB. The jmJobTable and
jmAttributeTable tables have this same index as their primary index.