PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Status of Printer MIB

Re: PMP> Status of Printer MIB

Jay Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Wed, 01 Oct 1997 14:55:14 -0400

I tend to agree with Harry's previous response on this topic.

I know there are some folks in the PWG who really believe a standard
is only "real" if it is Draft (or higher) and is on track for full
IESG adoption.

Given the fact that the printer industry seems to have fully embraced
RFC 1759 as a Proposed standard (evidenced by the many products that
have been offered in the marketplace), does anyone really believe the
same won't be true of this new Printer MIB version?

I'm hoping that as long as we CLOSE the development of this round of
the Printer MIB (ie, no more changes!), then the printer industry
will use this new standard (having a new RFC number) as the current
benchmark for product development.

Does anyone out there disagree with this position and its assumptions?

...jay

-- JK Martin | Email: jkm@underscore.com --
-- Underscore, Inc. | Voice: (603) 889-7000 --
-- 41C Sagamore Park Road | Fax: (603) 889-2699 --
-- Hudson, NH 03051-4915 | Web: http://www.underscore.com --