PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> hrMIB Extensions and Top25 Corrections

Re: PMP> hrMIB Extensions and Top25 Corrections

Carl-Uno Manros (cmanros@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 10:36:28 PST

Jay,

I am personally happy to make the change. Hope that none of the IPP
attendents have changed their home flights!

Carl-Uno

At 10:21 AM 10/25/97 PDT, Jay Martin wrote:
>Lloyd,
>
>Sorry, but I believe we're wasting valuable time here.
>
>> I must leave the PWG meetings on Thursday at noon therefore
>> having a PMP session on Thursday afternoon will not work.
>> Regardless, I think this is the type of issue that is best
>> worked out over the mailing list anyway.
>
>If you must leave the PWG meetings by noon--and you won't let
>anyone else act on your behalf as Chairman--then why don't we
>move the PWG Wednesday schedule to:
>
> 8:00 - 10:00: PMP
> 10:30 - 3:00: IPP
> 3:30 - 5:30: Sense
>
>That way you can make it, and the IPP-only attendees get to
>sleep in a bit.
>
>Carl-Uno: do you have any problems with this slight change
> in the IPP schedule? Please confirm asap.
>
>If this change is not possible, then perhaps the PMP should
>meet on WEDNESDAY NIGHT to resolve these and other PMP issues.
>
>Lloyd, we need to nail this issue once and for all such that
>we don't revisit it again.
>

>> I would like to
>> hear more discussion before charging down a path of rolling
>> this fix into the MIB.
>
>Lloyd, with all due respect, exactly what is it you expect
>in terms of a response? Harry has posted at least two messages
>on this topic, and got (only) two POSITIVE responses (from Tom
>and myself). There were NO negative responses.
>
>If you believe one or more vendors is concerned about Harry's
>proposal, then please say so. (For all we know, Lexmark may
>be concerned for some reason...)
>
>It is important to realize that the PWG hasn't done a very good
>job historically in driving stakes in the ground with respect
>to "voting" and "deadlines". Just saying "I'd like to see what
>other folks have to say..." is fine, but if you're looking to
>draw consensus, then you must ask something like:
>
> "I would like to hear what others on the list have to say
> about this topic. Please submit your comments no later
> than XXX, afterwhich I will draw consensus from the posted
> comments received as of that date."
>
>Without a firm deadline, most issues will languish indefinitely.
>We must do a better job of guiding discussion and resolutions
>in a timely and well-defined manner.
>

>> This is the type of problem that can
>> be worked out in a very logical fashion. There actually are a
>> very simple set of questions that need to be answered and the
>> solution should become very obvious:
>>
>> 1. Is this a problem that needs to be fixed?
>> I would like to hear from more of the host application providers.
>> Harry, Jay, and Tom have replied that they think it needs to be
>> fixed.
>
>Unless you specifically request input from specific participants
>(either publicly or privately), then you can't expect a response.
>That has ALWAYS been the history of the PWG. (Most participants
>are developers actively engaged in product development, with little
>time to "chat" on mailing lists.)

> [...]
Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros@cp10.es.xerox.com