PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Printer MIB Working Group mtg. in Boulder

Re: PMP> Printer MIB Working Group mtg. in Boulder

Jay Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 01:07:54 -0500

This is starting to get stranger by the moment.

Lloyd, you are now suggesting that the work the PMP has engaged in
over the last two years be submitted as a *new* standard (which
starts off as "Proposed" in the IETF standards track), and not
submit it as the "Draft" form for RFC 1759, right?

I think this is the RIGHT thing to do. (And we should be calling
this new spec something like "Printer MIB II" to follow similar
trends in other MIB-related efforts.)

However, given that, how is it that you are saying we avoid adding
any new stuff to the spec, or significantly changing things that we
(as a group) believe were broken in RFC 1759? Isn't this something
of a contradiction?

Again, I must point out that way back in the January 1996 meeting
(in Miami) I publicly stated that we must immediately shutdown all
attempts to add new objects to the MIB, lest we run into trouble
with the IETF. Morever, we should immediately wrap up minor fixes
to RFC 1759, then move on to "Printer MIB II". When the group
voted on my proposal, it was defeated.

That was almost TWO YEARS AGO.

Something is just not right here. We really must discuss this
situation while so many of the usual participants are currently
gathered together at the Boulder meetings. The PWG has a long
and positive history with regard to quickly dealing with problems
(more importantly, avoiding them in the first place), and now is
not the time to run into the mud. Let's talk.

...jay

-- JK Martin | Email: jkm@underscore.com --
-- Underscore, Inc. | Voice: (603) 889-7000 --
-- 41C Sagamore Park Road | Fax: (603) 889-2699 --
-- Hudson, NH 03015-4915 | Web: http://www.underscore.com --