PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Can an RFC 1759 implementation use the alert(18) type 1 code?

Re: PMP> Can an RFC 1759 implementation use the alert(18) type 1 code?

Ron Bergman (rbergma@dpc.com)
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 08:10:17 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

Tom,

A *pure* implementation conforming to RFC 1759 cannot include alert(18).
A better question would be "Does the inclusion of alert(18) cause
interoperability problems?"

Since the main reason for conformance is to insure interoperability, a
100% conforming implementation will interoperate. Also, many
non-conforming features will also interoperate. Is this one of them? My
guess would be yes, but a check with management app vendors should be
initiated to verify this assumption.

Changing alert(18) to a type 2 enum does not solve the problem. The
fact of the matter is, you cannot change an existing RFC.

Why not simply upgrade to the new Printer MIB (RFC 3???) ifthis feature is
absolutely required.

Ron Bergman
Dataproducts Corp.