PMP Mail Archive: (no subject)

(no subject)

pgloger@cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 15:13:53 +0100

Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 06:03:43 PDT
To: pmp@pwg.org
From: Paul Gloger <pgloger@cp10.es.xerox.com>
Subject: Re: PMP> Re: Config Changes
Cc: Harry Lewis <harryl@us.ibm.com>, Gail Songer <gsonger@tsoft.com>,
Tom Hastings <hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com>,
Ira McDonald <imcdonal@eso.mc.xerox.com>,
Gary_Padlipsky@cp10.es.xerox.com, Paul_Gloger@cp10.es.xerox.com
Sender: pmp-owner@pwg.org

As long as we're discussing Config Changes ...

It's hard to imagine any good way to implement the Config Changes object,
since the usual SNMP agent implementation techniques don't provide any good
way to know whether any of a bunch of other objects have changed, short of
the agent's polling all of them whenever Config Changes is queried. Is
this what everybody is doing to implement this?

Actually some informal testing here suggests that what many of us printer
vendors are really doing with this is nothing, i.e. not implementing the
Config Changes object, which wouldn't be very surprising given the
difficulty mentioned above.

This object would appear to be considerably worse than useless, i.e.
potentially very dangerously misleading, if it is not implemented (since it
purports to be mandatory), and implemented uniformly. Per the point above,
it seems often (and understandably) to be unimplemented. And this current
discussion, proving the current uncertainty about which objects are
considered part of the configuration, establishes that any current
implementations which do exist are certainly non-uniform in that respect.

To summarize, Config Changes seems to be intolerably non-uniform at two
levels, namely whether it's implemented at all, and, if so, what's included.

It seems that before any client/manager could ever dare use the Config
Changes object, it must first have some way to be confident whether the
agent implements the object, and what objects are considered to be included
in the configuration.

Shouldn't we either provide these things - or else just admit that Config
Changes is a lost cause?

Thanks,
Paul