PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Possible change in direction for Printer MIB

Re: PMP> Possible change in direction for Printer MIB

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 12:28:57 PDT

I'm in favor of 2 or 3. Right now we need an RFC. Some (most?) companies
aren't implementing the new draft until it is published as an RFC.
Since we added a few optional things based on experience, there aren't
any implementations of them yet, since the companies are waiting for the
RFC. A real CATCH-22.

Thus I think the PWG completely mis-understood the IETF's idea about
draft standards. We have to delete any objects that haven't been
implemented by at least two implementations, in order to progress to
draft. But if no one has implemented the extensions because they
were waiting for the draft RFC, we have to delete them.

The IETF is NOT like any of the other standards bodies. In other standards
bodies, standards progress from proposed to draft to final or they are
cancelled. In the IETF, most standards stay at proposed. Many have
several versions of proposed, with each one superseding the previous one.
The PWG extensible standards should just stay at proposed, with a new
version superseding the previous one when sufficient extensions
(and clarifications) have been agreed to to make it worth re-publishing.

Any standard that is extensible, such as ours, should stay at proposed.
When extensions are agreed to, a new proposed standard should be made
an RFC. We can decide how rapidly.

Tom