PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> prtAlertIndex as defined in draft-ietf-printmib-mib-info-04.txt

Re: PMP> prtAlertIndex as defined in draft-ietf-printmib-mib-info-04.txt

Mike Thatcher (mike@peer.com)
Wed, 02 Jun 1999 09:45:33 -0700

harryl@us.ibm.com wrote:

> How are MAX ACCESS and whether or not prtAlertIndex is included in the var bind
> related?

MAX-ACCESS for index objects must be "not-accessible" with 2 exceptions (see RFC
2578, 7.7). This means they cannot be included in an SNMP PDU. RFC 1759 defines
prtAlertIndex with MAX-ACCESS not-accessible. However, it also includes it in the
list of objects for the notifcation. This needs to be fixed. Attempting to
change the MAX-ACCESS to read-only is a way of permitting the object in the
notification but violates the SMI syntax and rules for changing previously defined
objects.