PMP Mail Archive: PMP> RE: Media Names, case sensitivity

PMP> RE: Media Names, case sensitivity

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 19:51:56 EDT

    Ron,

    About case sensitivity in names in the Media standard:

    Draft 0.3 had:

    Media Size Self Describing Names are not case sensitive but will always be
    presented in this standard using lower case characters.

    What I changed it to was:

    While Media Size Self Describing Names are presented in this standard using
    lower case characters, other standards that use these names, MUST indicate
    the case sensitivity for their conformance. Such other standards MAY:

    a) also require only lower case as in this standard
    b) allow lower, upper case, and mixed case to be used with the same
    meaning as the names in this standard, i.e., case insensitive matching
    c) require all uppercase letters to be used with the same meaning as
    the corresponding names in this standard.

    The important question is what interface is the media standard defining
    conformance requirements for? I had assumed that the media standard was NOT
    trying to define an interface that the Printer would implement or that a
    client would implement, but rather was giving a set of names and their
    semantics that other standards would reference. It would be up to these
    other standards to say whether or not case was important. For example, IPP
    says that keywords are all lower case, so that both client and Printer can
    count on having all lower case and not having to worry about case
    conversion. Other protocol, such as the Printer MIB use of MediaType and
    UPnP use of MediaType and MediaSize would have to say whether or not case
    was important. We might want the Media standard to RECOMMEND that these
    other standards only use all lower case. That would lower the burden on a
    Printer that is supporting, say, IPP, UPnP, and Printer MIB, if all three
    standards REQUIRED that the values be all lower case.

    BTW, I have seen some IANA Registries where the tokens are all upper case.
    That is why I included alternative c) above as well.

    Bottom line: The Media standard is writing conformance for other standards
    that reference the Media standard (like the IPP Notification Standard placed
    requirements on Delivery Method documents), not conformance for Printers or
    clients.

    See my replies to your message below preceded by TH>

    Comments?

    Tom