PMP Mail Archive: PMP> RE: FIN> Index into prtMarkerColor

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 11:43:23 EDT

Hi Mark,

this topic belongs, rather than the Finisher MIB mailing list.]

Well, I don't think there really were technical considerations. When the
Printer MIB v1 was developed (in the early 1990's), there was still a trend
toward simple indexing of SNMP tables (since reversed in IETF and others).

Also, the Printer MIB v1's 'IETF advisor' (Steve Waldbusser) unilaterally
chose most of the MIB structuring methods.

Since the vast majority of network printers had (and have) only _one_
marker, I imagine folks didn't worry about Marker Colorant indexing.

Since it took us SEVEN YEARS to get the Printer MIB v2 through the IETF
process, I'm afraid there's no possibility of an update (like another
lookup table added to help here).

Cheers,
- Ira, co-editor of Printer MIB v2

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc