PMP Mail Archive: PMP> Re: Print MIB 09

PMP> Re: Print MIB 09

From: Harry Lewis (harryl@us.ibm.com)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 11:58:46 EST

    I agree this is the best approach due to the pre-existing (high) level of
    interoperability.
    Harry Lewis
    IBM Printing Systems

    Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>
    11/12/2001 08:08 AM

            To: schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de
            cc: bwijnen@lucent.com, Ron.Bergman@Hitachi-hkis.com, dbh@enterasys.com,
    bwijnen@lucent.com, imcdonald@sharplabs.com, Harry
    Lewis/Boulder/IBM@IBMUS, rcasterline@crt.xerox.com, pmp@pwg.org,
    paf@cisco.com, ned.freed@mrochek.com
            Subject: Re: Print MIB 09

    Juergen> Another option that just came to my mind would be to
    Juergen> introduce a new accessible-for-notify object which holds the
    Juergen> prtAlertIndex value for a given notification and replaces
    Juergen> prtAlertIndex in the printerV2Alert notification.

    Sorry, this does not work as the new object would have a different
    OID. So forget about it.

    So I go back to my original position: Keep the notification as it is.
    Add a comment saying that the notification definition does not
    strictly comply to SMIv2 rules and that a proper fix (deprecating the
    notification and definition of a new notification) is considered too
    costly since fielded implementations interoperate just fine with the
    current definition.

    /js