PMP Mail Archive: PMP> RE: Print MIB 09 [bad ranges on three

From: McDonald, Ira (IMcDonald@crt.xerox.com)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 13:52:19 EST

    Hi folks, Saturday (17 November 2001)

    Ron - thanks for all your hard work on the latest I-D of Printer MIB v2.

    I believe that we have just introduced three technical errors into the
    latest Printer MIB v2 I-D, while changing all the 'Integer32' objects
    to give them explicit ranges in the MIB:

    1) prtStorageRefIndex - SYNTAX Integer32 (0..65535)
        - but in Host Resources MIB v2 (RFC 2790)
          hrStorageIndex - SYNTAX Integer32 (1..2147483647)
        - so Printer MIB v2 should have
          prtStorageRefIndex - SYNTAX Integer32 (0..2147483647)

    2) prtDeviceRefIndex - SYNTAX Integer32 (0..65535)
        - but in Host Resources MIB v2 (RFC 2790)
          hrDeviceIndex - SYNTAX Integer32 (1..2147483647)
        - so Printer MIB v2 should have
          prtDeviceRefIndex - SYNTAX Integer32 (0..2147483647)

    3) prtAlertIndex - SYNTAX Integer32 (1..65535)
        - but the highest alert index MUST have the exact value of
          prtAlertAllEvents - Counter32
        - SMIv2 (RFC 2578) explicitly prohibits range restrictions on
          Counter 32 in section 9 'Refined Syntax'
        - so Printer MIB v2 should have
          prtAlertIndex - SYNTAX Integer32 (1..2147483647)

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald
      High North Inc