PMP Mail Archive: PMP> RE: IANA Charset MIB (for Printer MIB

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 10:51:20 EDT

    Hi David,

    Thanks very much for your perceptive comments.

    Re: The inaccurate name of 'CodedCharSet' textual convenion:

    For historic reasons (Steve Waldbusser named the textual convention
    'CodedCharSet' when it was added to the Printer MIB v1 ASN.1 in 1993),
    this textual convention is erroneously named. But eight years of
    shipping Printer MIB implementations from every single network
    printer vendor is a lot of legacy...

    We _could_ change the name in Printer MIB v2, but that should really
    be decided during the IESG 'last call' on Printer MIB v2. The new
    objects defined in Printer MIB v2 have been defined (and stable) for
    six years, while we've awaited IETF AD review and publication.

    The actual documentation of the 'CodedCharSet' textual convention
    (in the ASN.1) makes very clear that it tags an IANA 'charset'
    which is a CCS that is (optionally) combined with a CES.

    Re: Your suggested improvements in wording in Introduction:

    Bert Wijnen asked that I finish up the C language utility and
    hand it over to IANA for maintenance along with the initial
    version of the IANA Charset MIB.

    I chose to actually issue it wrapped in an Internet-Draft for
    the convenience of the community. This I-D is _not_ intended
    to be published as an RFC. None of the other IANA maintained
    MIB modules are published in an RFC.

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald, co-editor of Printer MIB v2
      High North Inc
      imcdonald@sharplabs.com