PMP Mail Archive: PMP> RE: Printer/Finisher MIB and IANA enu

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 18:44:56 EDT

    Hi Juergen,

    Thanks for your excellent feedback.

    Your timing is perfect! Last week, Ron Bergman and I concluded that
    all type 2 and type 3 textual conventions should be moved into such
    a separate IANA-Printer-Types-MIB (like the HOST-RESOURCES-TYPES-MIB
    in RFC 2790).

    We plan to do this before the next draft - so we will wind up with
    three SMIv2 source modules for Printer MIB:
    1) Printer-MIB itself
    2) IANA-Charset-MIB for the 'IANACharset' TC (improved name per
        feedback from the IETF Charsets Registry mailing list)
    3) IANA-Printer-Types-MIB for type2/type3 enums

    Should we use all uppercase for the two IANA-maintained modules?
    More recent IETF 'standards track' MIBs seem to do so.

    We've also identified _one_ textual convention 'PrtAlertGroupTC'
    which should be changed from type 1 (requires republication of
    entire Printer MIB) to type 2 (IANA maintained). Because the
    Finisher MIB had to add enums to this TC several years ago.
    Else, any more new Finisher MIB object groups would require
    republication of the Printer MIB (a mistake in our opinion).

    We will also (per Bert Wijnen's request) insert the 'Prt'
    suffix into our two recently added localized string TCs:
    - 'PrtLocalizedDescriptionStringTC'
    - 'PrtConsoleDescriptionStringTC'
    (my mistake this wasn't done originally).

    One textual convention 'PresentOnOff' we plan to leave with
    the current (original RFC 1759) name and no 'Prt' prefix.
    Because the Finisher MIB uses it (unmodified) already.
    And a number of vendor private MIBs import it (I used it
    in the Xerox enterprise MIB modules for years).

    Should we fix the name (add 'Prt' prefix) of this last TC?

    We will also fix every one of the problems that Bert Wijnen
    identified in his recent 24-page email on 'difftool' output.

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald, co-editor of Printer MIB v2
      High North Inc