PMP Mail Archive: AW: PMP> add device in host resource/mib

AW: PMP> add device in host resource/mib

From: Jörg Geistmann (jge@ratio.de)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 05:23:50 EDT

    > Hi Jörg,
    hi ron!

    many thanx for your reply!

    > The agent code provides the interface protocol between the external
    > SNMP managers and the MIB. The MIB defines a data base of managed
    > information relative to a device, software module, or any other
    > entity to be managed. A MIB implementation defines the rules or
    > procedures necessary to obtain or modify the entries (objects) in
    > the data base.
    yes i know!

    > You need to use the SNMP agent already installed in Windows and
    > integrate the printer MIB into that code. The details of this
    > integration are very specific to the design of the agent.
    i know it!

    > The value of hrDeviceIndex for the printer MIB instance corresponding
    > to your plotter can be any value desired, as long as it is unique
    > (i.e. does not conflict with any of the existing assignments).
    yes, i know this unique hrDeviceIndex is handeld from the sub agent
    hostmib (hostmib.dll) from the windows system.
    this sub agent create this hrDeviceIndex for me in an unknow way.

    if we develop a sub agent printmib for our plotter/software we need this
    unique hrDeviceIndex in the printermib for the tableindex(es).

    our problem is what must we do that the subagent hostmib create for us this
    hrDeviceIndex.
    - must we install a dummy printerdriver? then the sub agent host mib
    create a unique hrDeviceIndex for this printer and we use this index.
    (this works but is this the way?)

    - or must we develop a own hostmib agent (we dont want because then we must
    handle other devices like networkcard, memory, ports, ... too)

    we have an other problem because of the staties in the hostmib.
    in our subagent printermib we can set the staties for our plotter/software
    but there are 3 plotterstaties in the hostmib too:
    - hrDeviceStatus (unknown(1), running(2), warning(3), testing(4), down(5))
    - hrPrinterStatus {other(1), unknown(2), idle(3), printing(4), warmup(5)}
    - hrPrinterDetectedErrorState (lowPaper, noPaper, lowToner, noToner,
    doorOpen, jammed, offline, serviceRequested)
    from which location get the subagent (hostmib) the infos for the staties?
    (from the printerdriver?)
    what must we do that the subagent (hostmib) do for us the job?
    (or must we develop a subagent for the hrPrinterTable in the hostmib?)

    i hope you habe any idea!

    all the best,
    jörg geistmann