PMP Mail Archive: PMP> General Questions

PMP> General Questions

From: Bruno Gervasio (brunogervasio@superig.com.br)
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 21:03:38 EST

    Dear folks,

    I have some questions about MIB and SNMP, and I couldn't find the
    information I wanted anywhere, and I was hoping you could help me.

    I wanted to develop an application that captured print jobs to network
    printers, monitor those jobs on printers (if they were printed, how much was
    printed, color, mode, etc), and monitor printers.

    - Could I monitor those jobs throughout my network using MIBs and SNMP?
    (Catching who sent the print, print size, color)
    - Do printers using MIB send alerts to an application without the
    application requesting it? (I don't want the application sending requests to
    the printer every 10 minutes, I want the printer to send alerts like toner
    load, paper load, lid open)

    Thanks for your attention.

    Bruno