PMP Mail Archive: RE: PMP> Posted Last Call draft of Port Mo

RE: PMP> Posted Last Call draft of Port Mon MIB (10 March 2005)

From: Wijnen, Bert (Bert) (bwijnen@lucent.com)
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 14:53:01 EST

    Inline

    Then it makes sense. Migth add a comment about that so that
    a novice (not as much involved) reader understands

    > Several years ago, the SNMPv3 WG wasted a lot of time finding
    > out that using non-ASCII strings in community names mostly
    > broke existing SNMP libraries - I could certainly change
    > that one - the 'ppmPortSnmpCommunityName' object was from
    > the original Microsoft request - these printers and external
    > network adapters are all running SNMPv1 with no security,
    > but they seem to use a different read community name for
    > each printer port - we can't really throw out the Microsoft
    > requirements, because they're the motivating force for the
    > MIB.

    Well, there maybe broken SNMP implementation that only accept ASCII for
    community string. But I think you are now swinging the other way to
    not accept compliant SNMP implementations that DO accept non-ascii
    charatcers in community string.

    In any event, I find continued use of community string very scary.
    Too much opportunity for people to break in.

    > I agree with your suggestion about SnmpAdminString. I was
    > following the usage in the just-published Printer MIB v2
    > (RFC 3805) where we were told to use a dedicated TC whose
    > semantics were that a specific SNMP object contained the
    > language tag (same as here). Should we change these fields
    > to SnmpAdminString?

    I just posted what I noticed. I cannot mandate use of SnmpAdminString.
    As long as you do things consciously and as long as they are not
    broken, then it is you (and your group) who decides.

    > We'll probably accept your comments as Last Call comments,
    > because we're on a short fuse to start our PWG Last Call.

    OK

    Bert