PMP Mail Archive: PMP> RE: Need clarification on the definit

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Sun Jul 24 2005 - 12:22:52 EDT

    Hi Tom,

    Sorry I missed this the first time around. Wasn't sent to PMP
    mailing list, so it got killed by spam filters.

    The answer to your question is that both behaviors by duplex
    printers on a single page job are historically correct
    (increment by one or increment by two). But your question
    only makes sense if the PrtMarkerCounterUnitTC chosen unit
    is 'impressions(7)'.

    The principal use of PrtMarkerLifeCount is to record use of
    the marker physical path. A duplex but blank back side
    _probably_ still went through the duplex path and caused
    wear on rollers, etc.

    There is new guidance here. In the PWG Imaging System Counters
    spec (completed last call and soon to be formally approved),
    a 'blank impression' MUST be counted in an overall 'Impressions'
    counter (and also in the separate 'BlankImpressions' counter).
    Therefore, the best practice for prtMarkerLifeCount using
    impressions would now be to increment by TWO (not intuitive,
    I know).

    Pete Zehler - please put in your two cents here, since it's
    a question from Xerox - thanks.

    Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
    PO Box 221 Grand Marais, MI 49839
    phone: +1-906-494-2434