RE: Feedback - PMP> Minutes of the MFP Teleconference 20060214

From: Paul Tykodi (ptykodi@tykodi.com)
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 21:00:28 EST

    Dear List,

    During the last year, I have been involved in some network analysis looking
    at how certain hosts use the current printer MIB to determine device status
    (including that of MFP's) and what effect a significant number of SNMP
    queries and responses can have on effective printing throughput (at times
    rather dramatic reduction in achievable throughput).

    In looking at the minutes from today's meeting, I would suggest that it
    might be a good idea to consider whether MIB optimization should be a
    category for an MFP alerts project. The idea would be to at least minimally
    describe some best practices for MIB usage, which would result in the host
    obtaining the required information using the smallest SNMP query and
    response packet transmission overhead possible.

    In case people are wondering how dramatic a reduction in PPM I have observed
    when SNMP traffic is significant (host trying to determine whether device is
    in error or not - multiple queries are sent asking more and more specific
    questions of the printer MIB), I have seen printers and MFP's with rated
    speeds in the 75 - 125 PPM range reduced to achieving actual throughput in
    the 10 to 20 PPM range.

    HTH

    Best Regards,

    /Paul

    --

    Paul Tykodi Principal Consultant TCS - Tykodi Consulting Services LLC

    Tel/Fax: 603-343-1820 Mobile: 603-866-0712 E-mail: ptykodi@tykodi.com WWW: <http://www.tykodi.com/> http://www.tykodi.com

    _____

    From: pmp-owner@pwg.org [mailto:pmp-owner@pwg.org] On Behalf Of Bergman, Ron Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 7:02 PM To: pmp@pwg.org Subject: PMP> Minutes of the MFP Teleconference 20060214

    The minutes can be found at:

    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/pmp/minutes/mfp/MFP_Minutes_20060214.pdf

    Ron Bergman Chairman, Printer MIBs Working Group