RE: Feedback - PMP> Minutes of the MFP Teleconference 20060214

From: wamwagner@comcast.net
Date: Thu Feb 16 2006 - 16:46:18 EST

    Ira,

    We are in general agreement. Indeed, the degree of participation in a MIB interopability event would be one indication of what companies care, at least a little. But don't get me wrong; companies try to provide what their customers ask for. If users don't see what advantage it is to them to have a good, consistent, standard management capability, why should companies exert effort to provide it?

    And, in defenseof NIC suppliers (since I was attached to the primary NIC supplier for many years, ) I would observe that the NIC can handle the protocol and most communication parameters by itself, but it still needs access to the printer data base for most of the object values. Many printer companies were not interested in providing this except for a minimal set of objects necessary for some visability with major applications. Indeed, some companies had us identify the unit as an HP Jet Direct unit to get that minimum visiblity but were happy to ignore most of the Printer MIB set.

    Bill Wagner, TIC

    From: "McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald@sharplabs.com>