RE: PMP> New MFP Alert Groups Specification Available

From: Stuart Rowley (Stuart.Rowley@ktd-kyocera.com)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2006 - 11:54:55 EST

    Hi Ira,

    Yes, creating an MFP MIB would address this issue, but we have been
    looking for a simple solution which adds "some" value with very little
    additional effort - just using the existing structures.

    I think what it comes down to is what you and Ron frequently disagree
    on: are we modeling services or devices? Of course we cannot be modeling
    devices because it is a single device, but on the other hand, with the
    alert table we are really primarily interested in the hardware
    components of the device.

    You suggested that this is not extensible. On a purely service level of
    course you are right. However, from a practical standpoint, it is very
    difficult to come up with scenarios where hardware failures affect only
    individual services, e.g. document transform service is ok but instant
    message service is down. Such software failures would be beneficial to
    be able to identify, but are really beyond the scope of this effort.

    I think the bottom line is that it would be beneficial for us to be able
    to distinguish between a jammed scan input and a jammed print input or a
    cover open that prevents scanning but printing is not affected. This
    proposed indexing method allows us to do that. I am willing to accept
    that this method will never be able to tell me that the instant message
    service is down but document transform is ok. I accept that I will have
    to implement a more advanced MIB or schema to achieve this additional
    level of sophistication.

    Best regards,

    Stuart

    Stuart Rowley