Re: PMP> RE: prtChannelType proposal for WS-Print

From: Ira McDonald (blueroofmusic@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2007 - 14:10:14 EDT

    Hi Pete,

    Comments inline in your reply below.

    All on pwg@pwg.org - this thread is the online review of a new
    prtChannelType for Microsoft's WS Print protocol.

    On 11/1/07, Zehler, Peter <Peter.Zehler@xerox.com> wrote:
    > Comments below and updated proposal
    >
    > Peter Zehler
    > XEROX
    > Xerox Research Center Webster
    > Email: Peter.Zehler@Xerox.com
    > Voice: (585) 265-8755
    > FAX: (585) 265-7441
    > US Mail: Peter Zehler
    > Xerox Corp.
    > 800 Phillips Rd.
    > M/S 128-25E
    > Webster NY, 14580-9701

    <Ira> Agreed - Multiplicity should be 'Multiple' - it's an obvious bug
    in 'chIPP' (which I wrote with Tom Hastings) where we said 'Single',
    because the later Conformance says you should list *all* URI.
    And 'ServiceURI' corresponds to 'ppmPortServiceNameOrURI'
    </Ira>

    > (3) Syntax for DeviceUUID should be changed to
    > 'URI (Unicode UTF-8 per RFC 3986)'
    > - consistent with other channels and RFC 4122 (your reference)
    > - note that OCTET STRING is BINARY and illegal in human-readable
    > prtChannelInfo object (which must be string parseable).
    > <PZ>That is what I originally had. As long as a value such as
    > 'uuid:172582cc-4dc4-4786-abc2-d1c307123ac6' is valid it works for
    > me.</PZ>

    <Ira> Yes - it works fine. Note that the actual value is supposed to
    be 'urn:uuid:...' (per RFC 4122). The IANA registered scheme name is
    'urn:uuid:' *not* just 'uuid:'.
    <Ira>