SDP Mail Archive: Re: SDP> SDP and start sheets - TIPSI/IPP

Re: SDP> SDP and start sheets - TIPSI/IPP

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 16:33:38 PDT

At 13:35 04/15/1998 PDT, don@lexmark.com wrote:

>I can't even imagine this being in scope for a server to device protocol.
>
>Don

Don,

I'm not sure what you mean by "this".

Do you mean that you can't imagine that a device understands start sheets
and end sheets? That a server formats any start and end sheets, if the
user or administrator wants or requires them?

We happen to have a low end device that supports LPD that does banner
sheets. Do any other vendors have the same?

This seems like a good requirements issue for SDP:

Should SDP provide for optional support of start/end/banner sheets in
the device?

If we don't, then the finishing specification gets more complex,
since the user may or may not want the start/end/banner sheets stapled
with the document(s). So finishing has to be specified per document.

Thanks,
Tom