SDP Mail Archive: Re: SDP> Re: SDP, IPP>PRO Proposal for TIPSI-like protocol

Re: SDP> Re: SDP, IPP>PRO Proposal for TIPSI-like protocol

Robert Herriot (robert.herriot@Eng.Sun.COM)
Thu, 07 May 1998 12:29:13 -0700

I am not suggesting that we define IP or TCP/IP over serial. Rather, I am=20
suggesting that IPP be sent via sockets and that if sockets are not=20
available for some connection, such as serial, that we define a lower layer=
=20
that supports a sockets implementation. We then have two clean layers --=20
one that supports sockets and the other (IPP) that assumes socket support.

As I said in my last email, I would hope that the 1284.4 design would work=
=20
on serial and USB with very few changes. But I leave it to others to tell=
=20
me how hard it would be to make 1284.4 work on serial and USB.

Bob Herriot

At 08:19 PM 5/6/98 , Harry Lewis wrote:
>Bob, hypothetically, your approach seems ideal. I just wonder about the=
degree
>of difficulty we're placing on the embedded device. Is IP overkill? If IP=
is
>the natural solution for every type of physical layer, why isn't P1394=
doing
it