SDP Mail Archive: SDP> IPP> MOD & PRO - IPP Event Notification, V0.05, posted

SDP> IPP> MOD & PRO - IPP Event Notification, V0.05, posted

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Wed, 13 May 1998 15:58:00 PDT

We have chosen to attempt to satify the event notification requirements
of a server that uses IPP as an SDP to talk to its devices. So I should
have sent this reference to the SDP DL as well.

Tom

> [...]
>
> Event notifications for the IPP print protocol [and JMP]
> Version 0.05
>
>The appendix has the full specification for the 'collection' attribute
>syntax, as agreed on our 5/6/98 telecon.
>
>[Items in square brackets relate to the PWG Standard Job Monitoring MIB
>[jmp-mib] trapping and will be removed when this document is made into an
>IPP Internet-Draft.]
>
> Status of this Memo
>
>This document is a PWG Working Draft. It is intended to become a first
>Internet-Draft when there is rough consensus that it is ready and then to
>proceed on the IETF standards track to be used with IPP/1.0. It is being
>developed under the charter for IPP/1.0 and meets the requirements in [req].
>
> Abstract
>
>In IPP/1.0, the user can determine what is happening to submitted jobs by
>using the Get--Attributes and Get-Jobs operations to poll for results.
>This document describes an OPTIONAL extension to the IPP/1.0 Model document
>for subscribing for event notifications using IPP, but which are delivered
>over some other protocol, either by the IPP Printer object or by any
>notification service that the IPP Printer object implementation may employ.
> See [req] for the notification requirements.
>
>Two methods are provided for subscription for notification events: (1) as
>part of the job submission and (2) as a separate
>Subscribe-For-Event-Notifications operation. Both methods allow the
>requester to specify (1) about which event(s) to be notified, (2) which
>notification-recipient(s) are to receive the notification, (3) what content
>type is to be sent in the notification, and (4) which notification
>transport method is to be used. Both methods allow the requester to
>subscribe for job event groups, such as 'job-completion', and/or printer
>events, such as 'printer-errors'.
>
>The event notification subscription mechanism uses a new attribute syntax
>called a 'collection'. A 'collection' value is a set of attributes. See
>the Appendix of this document for the complete specification of the
>'collection' attribute syntax.
>

>1.1 Summary of the proposal for IPP Event Notification
>
>This paper proposes the following:
>
>1. One OPTIONAL "job-notify" Operation attribute for use with the
>Print-Job, Print-URI, and Create-Job operation. The "job-notify" Operation
>attribute has an attribute syntax of '1setOf collection' (see Appendix) so
>that the client can request different events for different notification
>recipients for the same job. Each collection value SHALL contain the
>"notify-recipients" and MAY contain any of the following remaining member
>attributes with the indicated syntax and support by the IPP object if it
>supports the "job-notify" Operation attribute at all:
>
>Member attribute
>name syntax in request support
>"notify-event-groups" 1setOf type2 keyword MAY mandatory
mandatory
>"notify-charset" charset MAY
mandatory