XP Mail Archive: Re: XP> character entities and XHTML-Print

Re: XP> character entities and XHTML-Print

From: don@lexmark.com
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 14:20:20 EDT

    I forgot to cc the list.
    ---------------------- Forwarded by Don Wright/Lex/Lexmark on 08/15/2002 02:19
    PM ---------------------------

    Don Wright
    08/15/2002 02:19 PM

    To: "BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1)" <jim_bigelow%hp.com@interlock.lexmark.com> @
          LEXMTA
    cc:
    Subject: Re: XP> character entities and XHTML-Print (Document link: Don
          Wright)

    I agree with you, Jim. We need to use the XHTML 1.0 set.

     Don Wright don@lexmark.com

     Member, IEEE SA Standards Board
             PatCom Chair, SCC Liaison
     Member, IEEE-ISTO Board of Directors
     f.wright@ieee.org / f.wright@computer.org

     Director, Alliances & Standards
     Lexmark International
     740 New Circle Rd
     Lexington, Ky 40550
     859-825-4808 (phone) 603-963-8352 (fax)

    "BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1)" <jim_bigelow%hp.com@interlock.lexmark.com> on
    08/13/2002 07:50:30 PM

    To: xp%pwg.org@interlock.lexmark.com
    cc: (bcc: Don Wright/Lex/Lexmark)
    Subject: XP> character entities and XHTML-Print

    Hello,

    I've been trying to understand which set of pre-defined character entities
    are applicable to XHTML-Print: the xml or the XHTML 1.0 set.

    One of my colleagues says it is the smaller, xml set. I think it is the
    XHTML 1.0 set.

    Here's my reasoning, see what you think:

    1. XHTML-Print is in the family of XHTML document types since it is created
    by combining XHTML modules.
    (http://www.pwg.org/xhtml-print/HTML-Version/XHTML-Print.html#s1.1)

    2. The DTDs and entity sets attached to the XHTML 1.0 specs "form a
    normative part of this specification."
    (http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/REC-xhtml1-20020801/#dtds)

    3. Therefore, the entity sets in XHTML 1.0 should be supported in
    XHTML-Print unless the XHTML-Print spec states otherwise.

    Comments?

    Jim Bigelow
    Hewlett-Packard