XP Mail Archive: Re: XP> Removal of width attribute of table

Re: XP> Removal of width attribute of table element in XHTML-Print

From: Jun Fujisawa (fujisawa.jun@canon.co.jp)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 07:00:15 EST

    At 5:03 PM -0500 02.12.17, BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) wrote:
    >I'm proposing that we remove the width attribute from the table element in
    >the XHTML-Print specification
    >(http://www.pwg.org/xhtml-print/HTML-Version/XHTML-Print.html#s3.8). The
    >reason is that the textual description that contains the attribute was in
    >error and the DTD that does not is correct. See the full discussion below.

    Please note that this error is well recognized by the W3C HTML Activity
    Lead. I asked him to make sure the errata will be published.

    * * * * *

    Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:46:03 +0900
    To: "BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1)" <jim.bigelow@hp.com>
    From: Jun Fujisawa <fujisawa.jun@canon.co.jp>
    Cc: www-html@w3.org
    Subject: Re: Table element's width attribute in the basic table

    Jim,

    At 2:20 PM -0500 02.12.17, BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) wrote:
    >The Modularization of XHTML
    >(http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xhtml-modularization-20001020/) defines the
    >attributes for the table element in section 5.6.1 Basic Tables Module
    >(http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xhtml-modularization-20001020/abstract_modules
    >.html#s_simpletablemodule). This section says that there is a width
    >attribute for the table element. However, the DTD in F.3.5.1
    >(http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xhtml-modularization-20001020/dtd_module_defs.
    >html#a_module_Basic_Tables) does not specify a width attribute.
    >
    >My question: which is right, is width an attribute of the table element or
    >not? Since an author can use the width property, having a width element
    >seems redundant.

    This is an known error, and the 'table' element in Basic Tables Module does not
    have 'width' attribute (i.e., the DTD is right).

    <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html-editor/2002AprJun/0041.html>
    <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html-editor/2002AprJun/0043.html>

    I still cannot find errata for this, though.

    <http://www.w3.org/2001/04/REC-xhtml-modularization-20010410-errata>

    --
    Jun Fujisawa
    <mailto:fujisawa.jun@canon.co.jp>