XP Mail Archive: Re: XP> Consideration of CSS selector suppo

Re: XP> Consideration of CSS selector support in CSS Print Profil e and recommendations for support

From: Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 09:39:44 EST

    BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > First, I want to clarify that I'm recommending only the addition of
    > E[Attr], E[Attr=val], and adjacent selectors. If these are too much,
    > my fall back position is to only add E[Attr] since this is in the
    > Bluetooth conformance tests. However, I think we have a usefull set
    > of features and that authors can produce useful and pleasingly
    > formatted documents without these selectors.

    [Noticed my first reply didn't CC: the list...]

    My main concern with this is that embedded implementations don't
    usually have a lot of memory to play with, and adding the E[attr]
    selectors basically doubles the amount of memory required to
    implement a style selector structure since you are storing both
    the attribute name as well as the value. Since a stylesheet can
    contain an arbitrarily large number of styles, this could mean the
    difference between a document printing or not printing within the
    constraints of the device.

    The next version of our HTMLDOC software will likely provide XHTML
    support that will be used in CUPS to support XHTML-print, and in
    that context we'll be able to get away with the extra memory
    consumption, even on embedded targets, since our normal platform
    has more memory and processor than your typical printer.

    Requiring only E[attr] might be a feasible alternative with lower
    memory requirements, and if the Bluetooth folks already require it
    then we can probably assume that it works in embedded environments.